Recipe for Yong Tau Foo 釀豆腐
Ingredients for Yong Tau Foo:
- 4 large green chillies (seeds and core removed)
- 1 bittergourd (ends removed, seeds and core removed, cut into rings)
- 4 small pieces tau kwa (firm soya beancurd)
- 4 pieces tau pok (fried beancurd puffs)
- 4 shitake mushrooms (stems removed)
- 4 stalks if xiao bai cai
- Fried shallots and coriander for garnishing
- 50g cod fish fillet (blended)
- 350g minced boneless chicken thigh - skin removed (twice blended)
- 5 water chestnuts (chopped)
- 1 egg
- 1 pinch of sugar
- 1-2 tbsp cornflour
- 1-2 tbsp light soya sauce
- 2 pieces of chicken breast (skin removed)
- 400g of boneless chicken thigh (or chicken feet)
- 5 dried Japanese scallops (medium sized)
- 125g soya beans (pre-soaked in water for at least 3 hours)
- 10 seeds of wolfberries
- 2 red dates
- 5 big bowls of water
- Scald chicken breast and 400g of chicken thigh with boiling water to remove blood traces excess oil for clear stock.
- Place chicken breast and chicken thigh together with all other stock ingredients into a pot. Bring to boil and simmer for at least 4 hours.
- Mix all ingredients for meat paste.
- Make a horizontal slit for green chillies, tau kwa and tau pok. Stuff vegetables with meat paste.
- Bring stock to boil and add stuffed bittergourd and shitake mushrooms into the soup. Simmer for 15 minutes.
- Bring stock to boil once more and add stuffed chillies, tau kwa, tau pok and xiao ba cai into the soup. Simmer for 10-15 minutes.
- Serve garnished with coriander and fried shallots.
Recipe submitted by Lawrence Lim
Original recipe - Hedy Khoo, The New Paper (Eats) 29th July 2012
Image credit - Beaten and Baked